Saturday, November 28, 2015

Why did I embrace a curly hairstyle

Hi readers! I know, I haven't been a very active writer lately. I also don't intend to be really active on the future, but I'll keep this blog to post something occasionally.
So, as many of you may have seen while visiting my doll, I've drastically changed my hairstyle. Now, it looks like this:


Why curly? You may think.
Well, let me explain you a few things.
First of all, from the start I've always wanted my doll to look like me. I know most of the girls use Stardoll as a way of trying new hairstyles and clothes in real life they can't wear, but that's not my case. I wanted my doll to be me, and I have curly hair, so that's the first reason why I changed my online style.
On the other hand, as a curly-haired person in real life, I can't help but notice how media and society in general sends the message that a girl needs straight hair in order to be "pretty". Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but look around: celebrities, fashion books and magazines... where's the curly, afro or coily hair? Of course, there are curly haired beauties, but they're the exception to the rule.

Altough lately the fashion industry is getting more open-minded, it's not only there where the problem is. When searching for a job, or for certain events, curly-haired people are required to "make their hair look normal". Curls —be they tightly coiled and "poofy," or loose and wavy, whether they grow out toward the sky or lay down on your shoulders— aren't something to be tamed or "pulled back." And they're certainly not "unprofessional" or "bad-looking". They're beautiful! (You want some examples? Check out this or this).
In my life, I've struggled with that thought: I've straightened my hair a hundred times and wore ponytails when I could't, just to think I was pretty. That's the key word: THINK. Because (now I see it), curly hair IS also pretty, in a whole different way than straight hair is! Is that bad? Not at all. But, by loving my curly hair, I also love myself.

Count
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...